Entry regulations

Every country has its own rules for visitors of various nationalities. Therefore, prior to your departure, we recommend that you check the entry and travel requirements for the country you plan to visit.

Before you travel

Make sure you have all the necessary travel documents before the day of departure. If you need more information, contact the local authorities or the embassy of the country you are traveling to.

Please be aware that travel and entry restrictions may apply for some destinations. As a traveler you are responsible for making sure you meet the necessary requirements to enter your destination, before leaving for the airport.

Good to know

  • You must provide a valid form of photo identification upon request when traveling with us.

  • We reserve the right to refuse boarding if you cannot present a valid form of ID and the necessary travel documents.

  • The name on your ticket has to be identical to your form of identification.

  • You're responsible for obeying all laws, regulations and other provisions of public authorities related to travel in the countries you're flying from, to, or are in transit through.

  • We're not liable for any consequences due to a failure to obtain the necessary documents or failure to obey such laws, regulations, requirements or orders.

Travel documents

Travel documents are official papers or identification materials that individuals need to carry with them when traveling internationally. These documents are typically required for entry into another country and can vary depending on your nationality and the destination country.

Children need passports or identity documents proving their nationality. This also applies when traveling with an adult. For travel on domestic flights infants may travel without ID provided the parent can show valid ID-card.

If you are the parent or legal guardian of an unaccompanied minor, you must always show a valid identity document at check-in, regardless of destination.

Several government authorities require that airlines collect Advanced Passenger Information (APIS) from all passengers prior to travel.

You need to provide this information:

  • All names (first, middle and last name), exactly as written in your passport.

  • Date of birth.

  • Gender.

  • Passport number and country of issue.

  • Passport expiry date.

You can register Advanced Passenger Information through My bookings.

Countries/destinations requiring APIS:

Algeria, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Cuba, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Panama, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine and Vietnam and Svalbard.

Country-specific regulations

Nordic citizens don't need to carry a passport when traveling within the Nordic countries – with the exception of Svalbard and Iceland. However, you must always be able to verify your identity upon request.

To travel in the EU and Schengen area, you must carry a valid passport or national ID card complying with (EU 1157/2019).

Schengen countries

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Travel within Schengen

There are no individual security checks at borders between Schengen countries. However, you still need to carry a national identity card or passport to verify your citizenship if required. In Latvia, Estonia and France, you must present a passport or national identity card when you arrive and depart.

The Schengen Agreement governs the free movement within European member states. This means that regular border checks no longer occur. People traveling within the Schengen area (including children and infants) must however always be able to identify themselves with a national ID card or a passport.

Non-Schengen countries

You have to show your passport when you check in and board the aircraft when you are traveling to a non-Schengen country. On non-Schengen SAS flights to/from Denmark, you must provide information including date of birth, citizenship, passport number etc. when you check in.

United Kingdom

If you're traveling to / from UK or Ireland, your baggage may not weigh more than 32 kg. Baggage weighing more than this must be sent as air freight.

Only service animals and service dogs are permitted in the cabin when you travel to/from UK. No animals are permitted in the cargo hold but you can send your pet as air freight.

Russian Federation

You need a valid visa to enter the Russian Federation, even if you're only transiting. You can't apply for a visa when you arrive in Russia, so this must be acquired in advance. Visit the Russian embassy website for more details.

For all flights to / from Russia and flights overflying Russian territory, you need to provide extra passenger information in your booking, no later than 24 hours before departure. As a traveler, you are responsible for providing SAS with this information on time. Contact your travel agency or register your information here.

When you fly to, from or via the United States, special rules apply. Make sure to complete all necessary information listed below and that your passport is valid for your intended period of stay.

Advance Passenger Information (APIS)

The “Secure Flight program” of the US government requires airlines to collect specific information on all passengers traveling to, from or via the US. This is known as, Advance Passenger Information (APIS) and includes your gender, date of birth and your first and family name, exactly as stated in your passport.

The APIS details for you and anyone else included in your booking must be provided no later than 72 hours before departure, or you may be denied boarding the aircraft. For bookings made later than 72 hours before departure, you must provide the APIS when you book your flight.

If you have a Redress Control Number you provide this along with your personal details.

Travel Authorization (ESTA)

Residents of countries under the “Visa Waiver Program” may travel to the US without a visa. They will however need a supplementary travel authorization (ESTA). Without ESTA travel authorization, they will not be allowed to board their flight to the US. This applies even if you're only transiting in the US. Information about countries that requires an ESTA

As a traveler, you are responsible for applying for an ESTA and having it approved. ESTA approvals are typically granted for a two–year period or until the applicant’s passport expires.

Address for first night accommodation

When staying overnight in the US, you must provide the full address of your first night’s accommodation no later than at check-in – even if you're only transiting the US on your way to another country. To save time at the airport you can enter this information in My bookings when filling out the APIS.

Privacy notice

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires you to provide your full name, date of birth and gender for the purpose of watch list screening under the authority of 49 U.S.C. section 114, the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 and 49 C.F.R parts 1540 and 1560. You may also provide your Redress Number, if available. Failure to provide your full name, date of birth and gender may result in denial of transport or denial of authority to enter the boarding area. The TSA may share information you provide with law enforcement or intelligence agencies or others under its published system of record notice. For more information on TSA privacy policies or to review the system of records notice and privacy impact assessment, visit the TSA website.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), is required for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to or via Canada by air. US citizens and travelers with a valid visa are excepted.

  • Apply for your eTA no later than 72 hours before departure.

  • To be allowed to board your flight to Canada, you will need to travel with the same passport you used to apply for your eTA, since the eTA is electronically linked to it.

  • All travelers are responsible for ensuring they have an eTA.

  • The eTA is valid for a maximum of five years, or until your passport expires. Find out more and apply here.

Notice to passengers traveling to / from Canada

When traveling to China or Japan certain entry regulations apply.

Advanced Passanger Information (APIS)

The local Governments require airlines to collect Advanced Passenger Information (APIS) about all passengers. You can register this information through My bookings or at check in.


You may be required to apply for a visa. The type of visa you apply for depends on your length of stay, your passport and the purpose of your travel.

For the most accurate information contact your local authorities or the respective country's embassy.


When traveling to China make sure your passport is valid for at least six months after your intended return date.

Please ensure that you have all the documents required for entry into the specific countries you're traveling to, so you can prove your citizenship. These documents may include:

  • Passport.

  • Visas.

  • Departure permits.

  • Vaccination cards.

For the most accurate information contact your local authorities or the respective country's embassy.