Discover the world with the whole family. At SAS we welcome all travelers – four-legged and two-legged. Here's some important information if you are traveling with animals.
Regulations for transporting animals in the cabin
Below are the operational regulations and guidelines we follow to keep your animal safe and healthy when traveling in our cabins. For more information, please contact SAS Sales & Service.
- An animal traveling in the cabin is considered one item of carry-on baggage.
- You may only carry an animal in a cage/bag suitable for the flight transport of animals. This can be a Sherpa bag or another soft-sided pet carrier available at pet stores.
- The maximum dimensions for a cage/bag are 40 x 25 x 23 cm/ 16" x 9.8" x 9".
- The cage/bag must also be large enough for the animal to stand, lie down and turn comfortably. If you do not fulfill these requirements, you may not be allowed to bring your animal onboard.
- The maximum weight for a cage/bag including the animal is 8 kg/18 lbs.
- The animal must remain inside the cage/bag and be placed under the seat in front of you for the entire flight.
- Travelers may bring only one cage/bag per person.
- One cage/bag may contain up to two cats or two dogs as long as the cage/bag fits under the seat in front of you and its total weight does not exceed 8 kg/18 lbs.
- At SAS, you pay a flat rate per cage/bag and direction (outbound or inbound, including connections).
- The fees for transporting an animal in the cabin per cage and flight are:
Regulations and guidelines for transporting pets in the cargo hold
Below are the operational regulations and guidelines we follow to keep your animal safe and healthy when traveling in our cargo holds. For more information, please contact SAS Sales & Service.
- Animals that are checked in as cargo must travel in transport cages/boxes that are leakproof, solid, tight, clean and disinfected.
- The cage/box must be made of fiberglass, metal (not welded or wire mesh), rigid plastic, solid wood or plywood with handles on the sides and a solid floor (net floors are not accepted).
- The cage/box must be equipped with containers for food and water and the bottom of the cage/box must be covered with a layer of newspaper or sawdust (not hay or straw).
- For the animal's comfort, the cage/box must be large enough so that the animal can stand up, turn and lie comfortably. If the cage does not fulfill these requirements, you may not be able to transport your animal.
- SAS only transports cages/boxes approved by veterinary authorities. Cages and boxes are available at Trust Forwarding
- Animals weighing more than 14 kg/31 lbs each must travel in separate cages/boxes.
- Two adults animals of comparable size up to 14 kg/31 lbs each can be transported in the same cage/box if they are accustomed to living together.
- Up to three animals can be transported together if they are under 6 months old and come from the same litter.
- When animals are transported in the cargo hold, the air pressure and temperature are the same as in the passenger cabin. The availability of oxygen in the cargo hold for live animals limits the number and size of the animals that we can transport on the same flight.
- On flights over three hours that are serviced by Airbus A319, A320 and A321 aircraft, the maximum allowable weight of each animal is 30 kg/66 lbs.
- At SAS, you pay a flat rate per cage/box and direction (outbound or inbound, including connections).
- The fees for transporting an animal in the cargo hold per cage and flight are: