Customer service plan
SAS CUSTOMER SERVICE PLAN
16 November 2017
Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS)’s Customer Service Plan describes SAS’s customer service commitments consistent with US Department of Transportation regulations. Our Customer Service Plan is intended to provide you with information regarding SAS’s policies, procedures and methods for handling certain aspects of your travel on SAS. The Plan is explicitly separate from and not a part of SAS’s Conditions of Carriage
This SAS Plan is adopted for all scheduled flights to and from the United States operated or exclusively marketed by SAS.
1. Offer the lowest available fare
Our Call Center, web site - www.flysas.com/us and ticket offices will offer you the lowest fare available for which you are eligible for the date, flight and class of service requested. If you ask, our representatives will look for the lowest cost alternative itinerary if your travel schedule is flexible.
2. Notify you of known delays, cancellations and diversions
Despite our efforts to maintain on-time performance, there may be times when weather, air traffic control, operational or service considerations lead to flight delays, cancellations or diversions. We know how important it is for you to learn of any changes from the timetables as soon as possible. When you are at the airport or onboard an affected aircraft, we therefore provide you the best available information regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions.
We will within 30 minutes after we become aware of a change in the status of a flight (such as a delay, cancellation or diversion):
- Provide our gate agents, flight crew and other appropriate personnel the information that we know about flight delays, cancellations and diversions so that it can be provided to passengers and the public.
- Explain the reason for the delay, cancellation or diversion based on the information that we have.
- Update at the same time the information displayed at airport gates, other airport displays and airport kiosks to show flight status.
- Make such information on known delays, cancellations and diversions also available if you call us and on our website.
- Send SMS/text to SAS EuroBonus and Travel Pass members, as well as to any passenger who has subscribed to SAS Flight Info to advise of any delay, cancelation or diversion that occurs to an SAS operated flight starting from 22 hours before scheduled departure. Please note in order to receive an SMS message, a mobile phone number must be registered as the first contact in the booking.
Flights from the following cities cannot handle SAS Flight Info SMS service:
|Alanya (GZP)||Faro (FAO)||Naples (NAP);||Pula (PUY)|
|Bastia (BIA)||Geneva (GVA)||Olbia (OLB)||Salzburg (SZG)|
|Bucharest (BUH)||Larnaca (LCA)||Palermo (PMO)||Split (SPU)|
|Cagliari (CAG)||Lisbon (LIS)||Pisa (PSA)||Zurich (ZRH)|
|Dubrovnik (DBV)||Malta (MLA)||Pristina (PRN)|
3. On time baggage delivery
We will make every reasonable effort to deliver your checked luggage to the baggage claim area in the Arrivals Hall as promptly as possible after your flight has arrived. If your checked bag(s) should be mishandled, we will make every reasonable effort to retrieve them and deliver them to you within 24 hours. If your checked bag is not delivered to the baggage carousel at your arrival airport, a delayed baggage claim will be taken by our SAS personnel within the baggage claim area. Alternatively, you may contact SAS Customer Care at www.flysas.com/feedback within 7 days of travel to file a claim. SAS baggage claim representatives at the airport will also offer you immediate assistance sufficient to meet reasonable short-term needs, including issuance of an amenity kit. you have incurred any direct expenses as a result of a baggage delay, we will reimburse you for reasonable and necessary out-of-pocket purchases in accordance with applicable international agreements for international flights. If your bag is lost, we will refund any fee charged for transporting that bag.
4. Allow reservations to be held or cancelled for a certain period after purchase.(*)
When making a reservation through the SAS Call Center, web site, www.flysas.com and SAS ticket offices: We will allow you to hold a reservation at the quoted fare without payment for up to 24 hours or, where immediate payment is required at the time of booking, to cancel the reservation, without penalty, and receive a 100 percent refund, for up to 24 hours.
(*) If reservation is made within 24 hours before departure, cancellation and refund of a ticket (SK/117-document) is permitted up to 12 hours before departure. After that, no refund is permitted unless you have purchased a refundable ticket. We will advise you which of the above applies at the time of booking.
5. Provide prompt ticket refunds
When refunds are applicable including refunds for fees charged for optional services that passengers were unable to use due to an over-sale situation or flight cancellation, we will process requests in a timely manner and refund the purchase price according to the applicable fare rule, less any applicable service fees, to the original form of payment. When you purchase a ticket directly from SAS, and subsequently apply for a refund, you are requested to contact the SAS Call Center by dialing (United States telephone number) 1 800 221 2350
Mon-Fri 09.00- 18.00ET Sat-Sun 09.00-17.00ET or by contacting us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
When you are entitled to a refund, we will issue the refund:
- within 7 business days for credit card purchases
- within 20 business days when you have paid by cash or check
We will expect you to produce complete documentation for all purchases, including excess baggage fees, whichever form of payment is involved. Any taxes, fees and charges collected with and shown on a ticket are also refundable.
Please make sure you have cancelled your reservation before requesting a refund and remember to provide the name, the address, the credit card number used for purchase, ticket number(s), the date of travel, departure and destination cities.
6. Properly accommodate passengers with disabilities and other special needs.
We assist customers with special needs with full respect for their dignity and comfort, and in full compliance with all government rules and regulations applicable to our aircraft and services for transporting passengers with disabilities. We publish information on the services we offer to provide assistance to passengers with special needs and reduced mobility, including during lengthy tarmac delay events, and unaccompanied minors in a manner compatible with applicable safety regulations.There are certain service requests which should be made in advance. Our website provides a feature for persons with disabilities to request disability accommodation services for future flights. This helps us plan ahead for your safe and comfortable travel. Please check our website for more details. If your travel includes another carrier, please check directly with that carrier for any of your travel needs as different policies and procedures may apply. Children under the age of 5 are not permitted to travel alone and must be accompanied on all flights by an adult. Children ages 5 to 11 may travel without an adult but are required to use our unaccompanied minor service. There is a fee for this service and some detailed paper work is required prior to travel. This service may not be permitted on some flights, such as connecting international flights or the last flight of the day. Children ages 12-17 may travel alone (please note however that hotels may not accommodate children in this age category should an overnight hotel stay be required due to a flight misconnection) The unaccompanied minor service is available for a fee if you would like to use the service. Please contact our call center for further information regarding SAS’ unaccompanied minor service.
7. Meet passengers’ essential needs during lengthy tarmac delays
Lengthy tarmac delays may sometimes occur after you have boarded the aircraft and have no access to the terminal due to weather, air traffic control, safety considerations, operations and other factors. Should a lengthy tarmac delay occur, we will make every reasonable effort to meet your needs for snack food, water, lavatories and access to medical treatment as consistent with safety and security concerns. We naturally try to avoid keeping you onboard in long delays. For more information see the SAS Contingency Plan for Lengthy Tarmac Delays
8. Treat passengers fairly and consistently in the case of over-sale.
Occasionally we may not be able to provide you with a seat on a specific flight, even if you hold a ticket and have checked in on time. This is called an over-sale situation, and occurs when restrictions apply to operating a particular flight safely (such as aircraft weight limits); when we have to substitute a smaller aircraft in place of a larger aircraft that was originally scheduled; or if more customers have checked in and are prepared to board than we have available seats. If your flight is in an over-sale situation, you will not be denied a seat until we first ask for volunteers willing to give up their confirmed seats in exchange for compensation (in an amount determined by SAS) and travel on a later, specified flight. If there are not enough volunteers, we will deny boarding to passengers in accordance with our company policy on boarding priority. If you are involuntarily denied boarding and have complied with our check-in and other applicable rules, we will give you a written statement that describes your rights and explains how we determine boarding priority for an oversold flight. In addition to furnishing a written statement, if we orally advise involuntarily bumped passengers that they are entitled to receive free or discounted transportation as denied boarding compensation, we will also orally advise the passengers of any material restrictions or conditions applicable to the free or discounted transportation and that they are entitled to choose a check instead. You will generally be entitled to compensation and transportation on an alternate flight. We make complete rules for the payment of compensation, as well as our policy about boarding priorities, available at airports we serve. We will follow these rules to ensure you are treated fairly.
Please be aware that if you do not check in on-time or do not meet certain other requirements you may be denied boarding without compensation.
9. Disclose travel itinerary cancellation policies, frequent flyer rules and aircraft configuration.
We will provide our passengers with the following information relevant to their journey on our website, when you ask through our Call Center or contact our representatives at the airport:
- Aircraft configuration, including seat size, lavatory availability and pitch ranges
- The important terms or conditions that apply to your ticket and travel including cancellation policies
- Any change of aircraft on a single flight with the same flight number
- Information about SAS’s frequent flyer program
10. Notifying customers in a timely manner of changes in their travel itineraries.
We will make every attempt to contact customers when their flight cancels prior to the day of departure. The Passenger Care Center will arrange for rebooking of a passenger’s itinerary and will advise passengers via email of the new flight information. The Passenger Care Center will also handle callbacks to passengers prior to the day of departure. In the event of a flight cancellation on the day of departure at the airport, SAS will do everything possible to re-accommodate customers on the next SAS flight, provided space is available. Depending on the type of ticket purchased, the reason for the flight irregularity and availability, SAS in most instances, if needed, can re-book customers on other airlines.
11. Ensure responsiveness to customer complaints.
We know there can be times when a passenger is dissatisfied with some aspect of our service or products. If you have a complaint regarding our services or product we want to hear from you. Information about where to direct your written complaint is on our website, on your e-ticket confirmation, and is available upon request at the airports we serve and at all accredited travel agencies. Should you write to inform us of your dissatisfaction with our service, under normal circumstances we will acknowledge your complaint within 7 days from the date of receipt and provide a resolution if possible. If your complaint requires additional time in order to be handled properly, we will acknowledge your written complaint in writing within 30 days of receipt, and we will give you a substantive written response within 60 days of receiving your written complaint.
12. Provide services to mitigate inconveniences resulting from cancellations and misconnections.
In order to reduce any inconvenience you experience during cancellations and misconnections we will:
- Do our best to contact you in advance regarding a flight cancellation using the contact information in your reservation;
- Work to confirm you on the next flight we operate that has seats available in the same class of service when rebooking is necessary; and
- Make available information about your rebooking through our website; at an airport kiosk, when available; and through our airport and Call Center representatives. We provide you with the appropriate assistance, such as refreshments, meals and accommodation, when facing delays beyond two hours, provided local conditions permit. Such assistance may not apply in exceptional situations that are beyond our control such as severe weather conditions, political unrest or long strikes in essential services. Also, it may not be provided if this would further delay flight departure.