Travel to the US
- important information for flights to the US
SAS has the US covered from coast to coast. We've listed all the essentials below that you need to be extra sure about before you fly. This includes passengers in transit to another country through the US.Extra security checks on electronic devices will be carried out at departure gates for flights to the US from Stockholm & Copenhagen. Ensure that mobile telephones, tablets, laptops & other electronic devices are charged so that you can demonstrate that they operate normally. If they cannot operate normally, the case will be handed over to local police. Extra security checks on electronic devices to the US from Stockholm
Important things to remember:
- Booking and address for first night in the US
- ESTA/Visa (where necessary)
- You need a machine-readable passport that is valid for at least six months on the day of travel.
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires you to provide your full name, date of birth, and gender for the purpose of watch list screening, under the authority of 49 U.S.C. section 114, the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 and 49 C.F.R parts 1540 and 1560. You may also provide your Redress Number, if available. Failure to provide your full name, date of birth, and gender may result in denial of transport or denial of authority to enter the boarding area. TSA may share information you provide with law enforcement or intelligence agencies or others under its published system of record notice. For more information on TSA privacy policies, or to review the system of records notice and privacy impact assessment, visit the TSA website.
- If you do not have a machine-readable passport or plan to spend longer than 90 days in the US, you must apply for a visa by contacting the local US embassy.
Booking and address for first night in the US
- The name on your booking must match exactly the name in your passport. This should include your first name, middle name, surname, gender and date of birth.
- Enter these details in your booking no later than 72 hours before your flight to avoid the risk of denied boarding. It is the passenger’s responsibility to provide SAS with these details ahead of time. If you don’t fill out these details when booking, you can add them later here. This is also applicable to bookings with a redress number if you have received one from the US authorities (for example, if you have had previous issues getting your boarding card authorized).
- If you are departing within 72 hours, you must fill out these details when you book.
- You must register the address where you will spend your first night in the US with SAS. This applies even to passengers in transit. This can be done when booking or clicking here. This does not apply to US citizens or green card holders.
Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)/Visa
- Citizens of certain countries need a valid visa to enter the US. Others qualify for the Visa Waiver Program.
Click here for countries in the Visa Waiver Program
|Andorra ||France ||Liechtenstein ||San Marino |
|Australia ||Germany ||Lithuania ||Singapore |
|Austria ||Greece ||Luxembourg ||Slovakia |
|Belgium ||Hungary ||Malta ||Slovenia |
|Brunei ||Iceland ||Monaco ||South Korea |
|Czech Republic ||Ireland ||The Netherlands ||Spain |
|Denmark ||Italy ||New Zealand ||Sweden |
|Estonia ||Japan ||Norway ||Switzerland |
|Finland ||Latvia ||Portugal ||Taiwan |
| || || ||UK |
- If you qualify, you must apply online for the waiver. This is done using the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).
Apply for ESTA ($14/passenger).
- Fill out the ESTA no later than 72 hours before departure through the ESTA website. In most cases, the application is processed immediately, but it can take longer.
- All passengers are responsible for ensuring they have registered with ESTA. Ensure that the details match your booking.
- Your ESTA is confirmed at check-in through the information on your passport.
- Without a valid visa or ESTA registration, you may be denied boarding.
- An approved ESTA registration is valid for two years for unlimited entries by flight to the US. If you renew your passport during this period, you must re-register with ESTA for $14.
- Passengers who do not require a visa or already possess a valid US visa do not have to register with ESTA.
- For travel to the US, you can check in online or at the airport at a self service kiosk or check-in desk.
- If you are traveling from Stockholm to the US, you can check in at a SAS self-service kiosk, then collect your bag tags at the bag drop.
- If you are traveling on an e-ticket and have not received a paper ticket, bring a printed copy of your itinerary that you received by email. The itinerary can be used as documentation if you travel onwards in the US and when you return.
- When checking in from Oslo or Copenhagen, use the SAS Self Service Kiosks to print your baggage tags.
- When checking in from Stockholm, go to a bag drop counter to collect your bag tags.
- When traveling to, from or through the US, please do not lock your luggage unless you have a special lock that is approved by US authorities or a TSA lock. If your suitcase is locked during the trip to, from or through the US and your baggage is subsequently damaged from being opened by US authorities, SAS will not compensate for damages.